Going to the gym and maintaining a healthy lifestyle is something a lot of us have been committed to for a while. Especially while we are spending so much time at home and not moving our body as often, it is important to stay active.
However, with increased awareness of the risks of catching germs in public places, it seems difficult to know how to stay safe when working out at the gym. Nevertheless, there are some tips and guidelines that can be followed to stay safe and protected from germs when working out at a public facility.
Gyms can be considered an active environment for germs, as we are exposed to sweat droplets and heavy breathing from others as a result of working out. Hence, it is important to take precautions during and after working out at in a public space.
Here are some things you can do to maintain a high level of personal cleanliness when you want to work out at the gym:
What to pack in your gym bag:
- Take a few clean face masks so you can swap yours once it gets sweaty.
- Pack hand sanitizers with at least 60% alcohol and use frequently. As you are touching common items at the gym it is important to keep your hands clean so that you don’t pass germs to your face by accident.
- Pack some alcohol or bleach wipes and make sure to thoroughly wipe down the equipment and sanitize surfaces before and after using it, as an extra layer of precaution.
- Pack in your own bottle of water and refrain from using the water fountains or shared water dispensers.
- Make sure to take your own clean & dry towels.
- If needed, get your own yoga mat and refrain from using shared ones. Same goes for elastic bands, squat pads, etc… If you have workout equipment that you can take with you to the gym, it is recommended you do so instead of using shared items.
What to do when you get home:
- Take your gym clothes & shoes off as soon as you get home. Put your sports kit along with your used towels up for a wash, at a temperature above 60C if your apparel can take it. Alternative, use a laundry sanitiser with a lower temperature.
- Shower your body thoroughly with water & soap.
- Wash your hair with shampoo to remove germs. When you’re working out in a public space, your hair can catch external germs just like your hands can. Head & Shoulders Daily Protect Shampoo removes germs and protects you. This shampoo removes 99% of representative germs* and leaves your hair up to 100% free of dandruff*. Head & Shoulders Daily Protect will ensure to remove unwanted germs and leave your hair and scalp clean and healthy.
- Disinfect your gym equipment and keep your bag and shoes in a designated area that does not mix with your clean items at home.
- If you have used earphones and a mobile device during your workout, make sure to also disinfect it with antibacterial wipes.
- Wash your drinking bottle preferably in a dishwasher or hot soapy water.
Remember that the risks of catching germs will never be zero but, at the same time, the health benefits of working out are huge, both mentally and physically. If you take the right precautions, you can continue to work out at the gym safely. Make sure to keep in mind all the above guidelines to minimize risks and continue to fuel your body with movement to stay healthy and fit.
Don’t forget that germs can also be found in your hair, so using the right shampoo is important to keep your hair clean.
You can buy Head & Shoulders Daily Protect from your regular hypermarket, pharmacy, or online retailers.
* Head & Shoulders Daily Protect removes 99.9% of representative bacteria, shampooing twice.